Monday, 10 August 2026

Hobonichi Preview #3: Akiko Miyakoshi

The third line up of this Hobonichi season features an A6 cover, a Weeks, and a notebook with art work by Akiko Miyakoshi, an illustrator of children's books. This is a set I'd be most tempted by because Miyakoshi's work is phenomenal as is her lithography technique for the creation of the drawings. I looked up how lithography is done and it's an insanely intricate and difficult process, but you can see the benefits of it in the colours. I feel like if you enjoy the visuals of Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox you may really like Miyakoshi's work. 

First, the A6 cover is probably my favourite piece. It's an airport setting which I feel like many people have strong associations with, it's a place of great liminality no matter where the airport is. The separation of the night sky and the dark boarding tunnel is very creative. 

The Weeks is also very cute, it features an image of Miyakoshi's daughter, as a rabbit, finding a new friend. It's very sweet.

There is also a landscape notebook, the glow and the grain of lithography is especially noticeable and beautiful.



There is also a set of boards , my fave of which is the Weeks Lazy Morning illustration though I never use a pencil board so I don't think I'd ever buy one.

I do love when such amazing artists are given a spotlight like this, Miyakoshi's work is extraordinary and so is her work process. Check out what she has to say in her interview on the Hobonichi site for yourself, and her gorgeous studio too. Here's some of my fave works of hers: 



I have a feeling this is gonna be my fave series from the line up, but we'll have to see. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment